iOS 17, iPadOS 17, and watchOS 10 have finally been released to the public, bringing with them a range of exciting new features and improvements. One area that has seen significant updates is the Shortcuts app, which allows users to create automations and streamline tasks on their Apple devices.
According to Apple, the Shortcuts app is “a quick way to get one or more tasks done with your apps.” With the latest updates, users have even more possibilities for creating automations and saving time. Notable new features include the ability to transcribe audio files into text, delete alarms, scan documents, and create Time Machine backups.
Here is a list of the new commands available with the updates:
– Transcribe Audio: Generates text from an audio file.
– Delete Alarms: Removes specified alarms from the Clock app.
– Edit Sleep Alarm: Skips or reactivates sleep alarms.
– Open Camera: Opens the Camera app into a specific capture mode.
– Open Collection: Navigates to a specific section of the Photos app.
– Show Passwords: Navigates to the passwords settings.
– End Workout: Completes your current workout session.
– Scan Document: Captures an image and saves it to the Files app.
– Get Current Timer, Pause Timer, Resume Timer, and Cancel Timer: Supported on iOS.
– Start Stopwatch, Lap Stopwatch, Stop the Stopwatch, and Reset Stopwatch: Supported on iOS.
– Set Hotspot Password and Get Hotspot Password: Supported on iOS.
– Toggle Cellular Plan, Set Default Line, Set Data Roaming, Find Cellular Plan, and Reset Cellular Data Statistics: Supported on iOS.
– Start Time Machine Backup: Starts or stops backing up data with Time Machine on macOS.
– Move Window, Resize Window, Find Windows, Find Displays, and Find Apps: Supported on macOS.
In addition to the new commands, Apple has also made improvements to existing actions within the Shortcuts app. For example, Set Timer can now start a new timer even if there is already one running, Find Alarm replaces Get All Alarms and retrieves alarms based on filter criteria, Set Volume can adjust either the Media volume or Ringtone volume, and Health Samples support more data types such as sleep, mood, and appetite changes.
For a comprehensive overview of what’s new in the Shortcuts app, Apple has published a detailed article on its official website.
In conclusion, the latest updates to iOS 17, iPadOS 17, and watchOS 10 bring a wealth of new features and enhancements to the Shortcuts app. With the ability to create custom automations and streamline tasks, users can make their Apple devices even more efficient and user-friendly. Whether it’s transcribing audio, deleting alarms, or scanning documents, the Shortcuts app offers endless possibilities for saving time and simplifying everyday tasks.